Friday 19 March 2010

The Hotel Night Receptionist

I also photographed a hotel night receptionist at the Premier Inn in Bolton on Tuesday night.  I have decided that the Holiday Inn Manager picture was not suitable as:

  1. It was shot outside and as she works indoors, it doesn’t look right.
  2. I don’t like it – I think it’s the weakest image of them all.

The reception area was very small, so I got as much background in as I could manage.   I could have gone somewhere more grand, like the Midland Hotel in Manchester, but I feel that I shouldn’t just take photographs just because the background is exciting.  The background is secondary, it’s the person in front of me that is the most important part of the picture. Why give the impression that only the most visually-interesting locations matter? The places exist, the people exist, they are all worthy of being photographed.

I think the image, below, is the strongest of the three here – he has a stronger stance and looks more confident.  I also like Lenny Henry in the background which breaks the picture up and adds a surreal flavour.  I’m not keen on the refection of one of my flashes on the Lenny Henry poster/banister, but I don’t think it’s too distracting.

NIGHTWORKERS

NIGHTWORKERS

NIGHTWORKERS

ContactSheet-001small ContactSheet-002small